Residents wanting to take part in some of the decision-making in Fort McMurray Wood Buffalo have the chance to apply for one of the possible 18 different boards and committees open to applicants.
“By volunteering on a board or committee, you will get the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on your community and help shape the future of the region,” says Chief Legislative Officer Jade Brown. “You’ll also get to network and build relationships with people who share similar interests.”
Individuals selected will help lend their expertise and skills in helping to advise council on important community matters and initiatives.
“Volunteering your time for a municipal committee is a great way to get to know new people and be a part of the change you want to see,” says Sharon Heading Chairperson of the Public Art Committee on what it’s like to be a board or committee member.
The following committees are now open to applications:
- Advisory Committee on Aging
- Assessment Review Board
- Combative Sports Commission
- Community Identification Committee
- Communities in Bloom Committee
- Community Standards Appeal Committee
- Fort McMurray Airport Authority
- Public Art Committee
- Regional Advisory Committee on Inclusion, Diversity and Equity
- Regional Recreation Corporation Board
- Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
- Vehicle for Hire Committee
- Wood Buffalo Regional Library Board
- Wood Buffalo Housing and Development Corporation Board
- Wood Buffalo Development Advisory Committee
- Wood Buffalo Downtown Revitalization Advisory Committee
- Wood Buffalo Pro-Business Advisory Committee
- Wood Buffalo Waterfront Advisory Committee
Requirements to apply will vary between each board or committee role as individuals will be required to have a particular background that would add value to the position.
The Municipality is hosting two information sessions where interested individuals can learn more about the opportunities.
Both sessions will be held on Oct. 6 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and then from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. located on the first floor of the Jubilee Building.
Anyone interested in the role or wanting to learn more can do so at rmwb.ca/boards.