Following a $100,000 grant from Intact Public Entities (IPE) and Intact Financial Corporation (IFC), a new program has been created for homeowners in Fort McMurray Wood Buffalo to make their homes FireSmart.
The new FireSmart Home Action Rebate Program provides financial aid for those eligible to upgrade their homes to reduce the risk of fire damage.
Eligible home upgrades include:
- Roof replacement – up to $2,000 (e.g., repairing old/damaged asphalt shingles)
- Roof upgrade – up to $2,000 (e.g., replacing wood shake shingles with asphalt shingles)
- Deck upgrade – up to $2,000 (e.g., replacing wood decking with a fire-resistant material)
- Siding upgrade – up to $5,000 (e.g., replacing vinyl siding with stucco)
- New home construction – eligible for a siding or decking upgrade rebate
To become eligible, residents must book a free FireSmart Home Assessment online or by calling Pulse (780) 743-7000.
IPE and IFC invested $1 million in municipalities across the country to support local climate change initiatives.
Fort McMurray Wood Buffalo was one of 10 recipients to receive the grant out of 144 applicants.
Rebates will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis until the funds have been exhausted or until June 2023.
“We’re very grateful to be one of the recipients of a Municipal Climate Resiliency Grant,” said Erin Judge, Regional FireSmart Supervisor. “Living within the boreal forest, we live with the threat of wildfire and this program will help homeowners reduce the risks to their properties.”