The lives of two separate families were saved by their smoke alarms this month.
The Fort McMurray Fire Department responded to two house fires, each occurring in the early hours of the morning.
The residents were sleeping when their smoke alarms woke them up and alerted them of the fire.
Fire Marshall Nick Brenner is asking residents to check their smoke alarms today and ensure they are in working order.
He says this five-minute task could save your life.
Some other things to keep you safe in the event of fire include installing a smoke alarm on each floor of your house and outside sleeping areas, changing the batteries every six months, and regularly vacuuming your alarm to clear any dust or buildup.
Brenner also suggests setting a reminder in your phone to test your alarm each month.