Fort McMurray is seeing another sizable drop in active COVID-19 cases.
Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, announced on Monday 355 new cases across the province.
There are currently 7,387 active cases across Alberta, while there have been a total of 124,563 positive tests. There are also 556 Albertans in the hospital for the virus, 102 of which are in ICUs.
Locally, Fort McMurray added three new cases and 12 recoveries which lowers the active total to 82.
The rural areas saw no changes keeping the total of active cases at nine, while there continue to be no active cases in Wood Buffalo National Park.
In total, 1,736 individuals across the RMWB – 1,604 in Fort McMurray, 123 in the rural areas, and nine in Wood Buffalo National Park – have recovered.
They are among the 115,527 who’ve recovered across the province. This represents over 92 per cent of reported cases.
There were also 10 new deaths from COVID-19 in Alberta over the past 24 hours – raising the total to 1,649.
To date, three individuals in Fort McMurray have died as a result of the virus.
The provincial government is also expanding its self-isolation supports across the province.
Those who self-isolate at chosen hotels will be fully accommodated by the province and will receive a $625 payment after their stay is over.
Before, only people in Edmonton and Calgary were eligible for the payment.
“No matter what they earn, what community they live in, or what language they speak, all Albertans should be able to isolate safely to protect themselves, their families, and their neighbours from COVID-19,” said Ric McIver, Minister of Municipal Affairs.
“Reducing the spread means we can get Alberta’s economy back on track while we protect both lives and livelihoods.”
Individuals must have been told by Alberta Health Services to quarantine to access this service.
So far, over 850 Albertans have benefitted from the program.