Three New COVID-19 Cases in Wood Buffalo, Outbreak Declared at Elsie Yanik School

Fort McMurray is seeing two new cases of COVID-19.

The province announced on Friday 153 new cases across Alberta. This raises the provincial total to 17,343 with 1,497 currently active.

The community also saw two more recoveries which keeps the active total at 48.

The rural areas saw one new case and one recovery, keeping the active total at four.

In total, 258 individuals across the RMWB – 196 in Fort McMurray and 62 in the rural areas – have recovered.

They are among the 15,585 across the province. This represents around 90 per cent of reported cases.

Meanwhile, there were no new deaths from COVID-19 in Alberta over the past 24 hours – keeping the total at 261.

One of the deaths has been in Fort McMurray.

New COVID-19 Cases in Schools

A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at Elsie Yanik School.

The school now has two active cases, however, neither was contracted at school.

Good Shepherd and St. Martha also added new cases. The FMCSD notes this is the second case at St. Martha, however, they’ve been told it doesn’t meet the requirements for an outbreak by Alberta Health Services.

All COVID-19 cases in Fort McMurray schools have been from community transmission.

Each school will remain open.

Custodians have conducted enhanced cleaning protocols, focusing on areas where the individuals were present, along with high-touch areas and surfaces throughout the schools.

AHS will be in contact with all staff and students who need to self-isolate.

Meanwhile, those who show any symptoms are asked to stay home, self-isolate, and get tested for the virus.

Everyone should continue to fill out the Alberta Health Screening Questionnaire each day before heading off to school.

Northern Lights Regional Health Centre

The outbreak declared at the Northern Lights Regional Health Centre is over.

Back on August 21, an individual tested positive for the virus in the medicine unit.

All patients were tested and monitored, however, no news cases emerged.

The outbreak was officially deemed over after the hospital went a four weeks without any cases.

More from 100.5 Cruz FM